Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The realm of calm water

Joshua Loth Liebman "On my head pour only the sweet waters of serenity. Give me the gift of the Untroubled Mind."

Once
, as a yongy man full of exuberant fancy, I undertollk to draw up a catalogue of the acknowledged "goods" of life. As other men sometimes tabulate lists of properties they own or would like to own, I set down my inventory of earthly desirables: health, really like, beauty, talent, power,riches,and fame.

When my inventory was completed I proudly showed it to a wise elder who had been the mentor and spiritual model of my youth. Maybe
I was trying to impress him with my precocious wisdom. Anywany, I handed him the list. "This", I told him confidently, "is the sum of mortal goods. Could a man possess them all, he could be as a god."


At the corners of my friend's old eyes, I saw wrinkles of amusement gathering in a patient net. "An great
list," he said, pondering it thoughtfully, "well digested in contented and set down in not-unresonable order. But it appears, my young friend, that you have omitted one of the most critical element of all. You have forgotten the 1 ingredient, lacking with every single possession becomes a hideous torment."

"And what." I asked, peppering my voice with truculence, "is that missing ingredient?"

"What a pencil stub he crossed out my whole
schedule. Then, haveing demolished my adolscent dream structure at a single stroke, he wrote down three syllables: peace of mind. "This will be the gift that God reserves for His special Proteges." he stated.

"Talent and beauty He gives to a lot of
. Wealth is commonplace, fame not rare. But peace of mind - which is His final guerdon of approval, the fondest insignia of His adore, He bestows it charily. Most men are never blessed with it; other people wait all their lives- yes, far into advanced age - for this gift to descend upon them."

No comments:

Post a Comment