Friday, June 10, 2011

Each day is special

A friend of mine opened his wife's underwear drawer and picked up a silk paper wrapped package:

"This, - he said
- is not any ordinary package." He unwrapped the box and stared at both the silk paper along with the box.


"She got this the very first
time we went to New York, 8 or 9 years ago. She has never put it on. Was saving it for a special occasion.

Nicely
, I guess this is it. He got near the bed and placed the gift box next to the other clothings he was taking to the funeral home, his wife had just died. He turned to me and stated:

"Never save some thing
for a special occasion. Each day inside your life is really a special occasion".

I still think
those words changed my life. Now I read extra and clean much less. I sit on the porch without having worrying about anything. I spend far more time with my family, and less at function. I understood that life really should be a source of encounter to be lived up to, not survived via. I no longer keep anything. I use crystal glasses every single day. I'll wear new clothes to go to the supermarket, if i feel like it. I don't save my unique perfume for special occasions, I use it whenever I need to. The words "Someday..." and "One Day..." are fading away from my dictionary. If it's worth seeing, listening or doing, I would like to see, listen or do it now.

I don't
know what my friend's wife would have accomplished if she knew she wouldn't be there the next morning, this nobody can tell. I think she could possibly have called her relatives and closest buddies.

She may well
call old buddies to make peace over past quarrels. I'd like to feel she would go out for Chinese, her favourite food. It is these tiny things that I would regret not performing, if I knew my time had come. I would regret it, mainly because I would no longer see the friends I would meet, letters... letters that i wanted to write "One of this days". I would regret and really feel sad, due to the fact I didn't say to my brothers and sons, not times sufficient at the least, how much I love them.

Now, I try
not to delay, postpone or maintain anything that could bring laughter and joy into our lives. And, on every morning, I say to myself that this could be a unique day. Every day, each hour, each minute, is unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment